How will I find out about jobs on productions?

If a production needs more crew than can be filled by union members, the Local will send an email blast to everyone on the Overflow list, notifying them of the job opportunity. If you are available to take that job, you should reply to the job blast as instructed, and your information will be forwarded on to the production for consideration.

More specific information about productions is available only to Local 480 members.

Once you are a member of Local 480, you will be able to see the list of productions currently hiring, along with contact information for the productions. You will also receive any job blasts requested by productions (and will have your information forwarded on to productions if you are available to fill a call), and will have access to the jobs board listing of jobs available. All productions are given access to the roster of active 480 members as well.


Can I stop being a member?

Taking an Honorable Withdrawal from the Local is an option for putting your membership on hold. While you are withdrawn, you agree not to work in a contract position in our jurisdiction. Should you wish to reinstate your membership, you will be responsible for up to eight quarters of back dues and must provide two current letters of recommendation and a valid New Mexico drivers license. In order to qualify for an Honorable Withdrawal, you must be current on all quarterly dues, work dues, and any other outstanding financial obligations to the Local (you do not pay membership dues for the quarter in which you withdraw).

If you wish to do this, send a written request to

Can I use volunteer days to get into the Local?

Yes you can, though you might make more contacts while working on set.

Here’s how it breaks down:

  • volunteering for 12 hours = 1 day
  • 1.5 volunteer days = 1 union day

So, if you worked 45 volunteer days, it would equal 30 union days and you would be granted an application to join.

All volunteer days must be coordinated through the Outreach Coordinator, who can be reached at

I left my account logged-in on a computer I don’t own! What can I do? automatically checks to see if your account is logged-in on any other computers every time you sign in. If you left any sessions open, they will be automatically closed.

You can test this yourself, if you’ve got more than one browser installed. Log into in one browser, then with a different browser. You should quickly see your account in the first browser log-out.

My craft isn’t listed. What do I do now?

IATSE Local 480 covers a specific list of common, below-the-line crafts within the film and television industry. We are able to cover these crafts because jurisdiction over them was granted to us by our parent organization, the IATSE International Alliance (IA). If it isn’t on the list of covered crafts, then we don’t have the authority to represent you.

There are a great many crafts on a set that aren’t covered by Local 480. Some aren’t even covered by IATSE. And some, like Production Assistant (PA), aren’t covered by any union at all.

Similar NM Union Locals in Which You May be Interested:

IATSE Local 423 Stagehands — For back-stage workers in theater, concert, and other live entertainment.

SAG/AFTRA NM — Actors and Extras

Teamsters Local 492 — For anyone whose job is driving.

Also see FAQ: What is “the International?”

What is your NM Driver’s License Requirement?

Local 480 requires a current and valid New Mexico Driver’s License to become a member.

Please check your New Mexico Driver’s License against the following requirements to make sure that it works for us.

Requirements for your current and valid New Mexico Driver’s License:
  • MUST be a Driver’s License.
  • MUST be a New Mexico Driver’s License.
  • MUST be a current, valid New Mexico Driver’s License.
Some things that are NOT your current and valid New Mexico Driver’s License and therefore will not work whatsoever:
  • A state ID card.
  • A license from a state that is not New Mexico.
  • An expired New Mexico Driver’s License.
There isn’t a person who can break this rule. In other words, there has never been and there never will be an exception to this rule.

All user registrations submitted with anything other than a current and valid New Mexico Driver’s License will be deleted. You will be notified and you will have to re-submit your registration with a current and valid New Mexico Driver’s License.